Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Deer? Chasing the dog?

Every morning I get up before my husband goes to work to spend some time with him. Every morning we let the dog (our boxer Buddy) out as we head to the car. Every morning Buddy goes down the driveway or into the woods, rarely does he go very far but he is out of sight. Of course it is still very dark at that time. We do occasionally have neighbors dogs intrude the territory.

We have a camera outside so we can see the gardens etc. This morning we happened to see a doe very close to the house.

This morning wasn't "every morning". We go out to the car as usual. I'm standing talking to my husband as usual. Buddy takes off as usual.........then..........Buddy comes back running at full tilt *not* as usual. Something is chasing him. I am thinking it is another dog and I yell out as I see them approach. Then as Buddy zips between the car and truck the pursuer stops! I see to my astonishment that my dog was being run down by a deer! If I wasn't full awake before I was then. We have deer around here all the time and there hadn't been any problems. He doesn't chase them and they don't chase him. Until today. This animal just stood there after she stopped and stared him down. He wasn't going anywhere near that deer. She then turned lifted that white tail and walked off.

End of story?  Not quite.

As my husband is headed down the driveway this deer is having an attitude with his car she is not wanting to let him pass. Slowly he maneuvers the car around her and is on his way. I return into the house wondering what the heck was that all about?

End of story now? Not quite..............

My husband called me a couple of minutes after he left to update me on the situation................
 If you read my last blog you know we spent part of this past weekend installing a new water hydrant about halfway up the driveway. It seems that this particular doe chose that particular spot at very close to the particular time my husband leaves for work to deliver a new fawn and Buddy wasn't a welcome visitor at such early hours. Neither was my husband or his car!
All is well, momma and baby have moved on and Buddy doesn't seem too traumatized.

End of story? Yes for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment